The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmogirl.com recently published the results of their study, Sex and Tech. The results are surprising and enlightening. A few highlights:
- 33% of young adults (20-26) overall have sent of posted nude or semi-nude pictures of themselves
- 20% of teens (13-19) overall have sent of posted nude or semi-nude pictures of themselves
- 38% of teen girls and 39% of teen boys say they have had sexually suggestive text messages or emails— originally meant for someone else—shared with them.
- 48% of young adult women and 46% of young adult men say it is common for nude or semi-nude photos to get shared with people other than the intended recipient.
- 22% of teens and 28% of young adults say they are personally more forward and aggressive using sexually suggestive words and images than they are in “real life.”
The survey is worth checking out. It highlights a general movement in society towards a “split personality” in the emerging youth generation, and also a new attitude towards sex and sexuality that will have repercussions on the magnitude of the “free sex” generation the came of age in the 60s.